Sunday, November 9, 2008

Whirlwind Tour

I'm trying to familiarize myself with most of the graveyards in the city (quite a task!) so I went on a bit of a tear this weekend to check out various sites. All in all, I got to see six of them: Fernwood, Mikveh Israel (the one in West Philly), Friends Southwest Burial Ground, Mt. Vernon, Mt. Peace, and finally, Laurel Hill.

I'll be writing a bit more in depth about them in the next few days, but for now, I'll just say each was fascinating in their own way. Urban cemeteries are such an interesting juxtaposition--places of quiet and reflection in the middle of the hustle and bustle.

More soon!

2 comments:

Terry Thornton said...

Philly,

Sounds as if you are busy -- six cemeteries in one weekend! I look forward to reading about each of those you visited.

TERRY

Philly Graveyard Rabbit said...

Thanks, I look forward to spending a little time (hopefully tonight) writing them up and uploading some pictures!