Saturday, November 22, 2008

Palmer Cemetery


Palmer Cemetery is a small cemetery located in the Fishtown section of Philadelphia. An acquaintance at Laurel Hill had clued me in to its existence, and since I was headed to Port Richmond, a neighboring primarily Polish community, to buy pierogies today, I decided to take a look. (You can read more about the cemetery and its origins here.)

In the cemetery, I found some of the most lovely old headstones (including many that are definitely feeling the effects of time), and then newer ones like the one above, that contain the image of the deceased. I hadn't seen one of these before I went to Mt. Peace two weekends ago, and I have to admit they brought me up a little short. I've seen headstones with small pictures attached, but there's something about this format that to me really memorializes a person. But then I've heard some say they find them gaudy and showy. What do you think?

The rest of the photos from my visit can be found here. I hope to take more cemetery pictures I have a better camera, but I was pleased that these came out as well as they did using my tiny camera phone!

1 comment:

Terry Thornton said...

Philly GYRabbit,

Thanks for this look at "photo" grave markers. I have mixed feelings about images on markers --- but I think whatever the individual or the family wishes, within limits, is fine. I am of the opinion, however, that the old quote is accurate: "The cemetery is not the place to make a statement."

I hope other of your readers comment on this practice of placing photographs on grave markers.

Terry Thornton
Fulton, Mississippi USA