Friday, November 7, 2008

Green Burial

Speaking of Laurel Hill, I got an interesting email in my inbox the other day. Today at 4, "West Laurel Hill Cemetery and Bringhurst Funeral Home will be annoucing their offering of green funeral services, and dedicating a section of the cemetery to green burial. (It'll be called "Nature's Sanctuary".) Their goal is to be 100% environmentally friendly, which means no embalmed bodies, only non-treated wood and biodegradeable shrouds, natural markers, and landscaping with indigenous trees, plants, shrubs and grasses."

I've only recently been hearing more about this trend, and I'd like to know more. I'll do some research and report back, but if anyone has strong thoughts about it, please feel free to share!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, the first bit sounds like traditional Jewish burial.

By the way, you should let me know if/when you come back to the Woodlands.

Philly Graveyard Rabbit said...

Is it traditional in Jewish burial not to embalm? I didn't realize. Is there an Orthodox policy on cremation?

There are so many great cemeteries by your house--I'd definitely be up for tromping around if you wanted. You could bring knitting when it's warmer. :)